Wednesday 28 September 2011

Research on the Broadbarred Firefish

I was honestly surprised that I got the Broadbarred Firefish when we had our brief, mainly because I have never heard of it before, but now that I have been getting some research and information about this creature, I have come to discover that it is such a beautiful and interesting fish and I am going to have such a good time splicing it with myself.

Here are some basic facts that I found out which would be essential to know from my research before I continue with this unit.

                        Life Span:                    8-15 years

                        Size:                            19-20cm (7.5-7.9”)

                        Temperature:              22--28 °C (71.6-82.4°F)

                        Diet:                            Carnivore, Live Foods and Vegetables

Habitat:                       Indo Pacific: East Africa to Marquesan and Mangaréva islands, north to southern Japan, south to Queensland, Australia and Kermadec

                        Family:                        Scorpaenidae

                        Environment:              Marine (Reef Associated)

                        Depth Reach:              2 – 50m 

Alternative Names:     Broadbarred Firefish, Broad barred Lionfish, Antennata Lionfish, Ragged-finned Firefish and Spotfin Lionfish.

Fig. 1 - Don't forget to catch my good side

Short Description
Dorsalspines (total): 13; Dorsalsoft rays (total): 11-12; Analspines: 3; Analsoft rays: 6. Reddish to tan with many dark bars on body; median fins with scattered dark spots; tentacle above eye long and with dark bands. Adults with bluish black blotches near the base of the pectoral fins” 1
In my own description about the Firefish I think it is an amazing creature, I’m mainly fascinated by its use off defence by how it has a venomous sting which is inflicted by its “Dorsal Spines”. When it comes to more in-depth drafts of my thumbnails to get to my finalized idea I want to make sure I add these into the spliced hybrid, because I want to be able to add the complexity of the fishes defensive features from its genes into the hybrid.

Fig.2 - Broadbarred Firefish (Dorsal Spines)

Biology
“The Broadbarred Firefish appears in lagoons and seaward reefs. It hides in crevices under rocks and coral formations during the day and hunts at night. Typically with head towards the safety of their hide-out or narrow passage. They feed on shrimps and crabs. The Firefish also has a venomous inflicting painful sting. They also prefer to be solitary or in groups”. 2
Here’s a little fun fact I found about the Broadbarred Firefish which made me laugh for quite some time, enjoy.
“The Volitans Lionfish, Black Lionfish, or Red Firefish are so lazy that many times people think they are dead when they are merely resting upside down!" 3
Don't worry guys I won't be like that............. :)
Bibliography
Quotes:
        Date Accessed: 23/09/2011                 
        Entered By: Luna, Susan M.              Modified By: Casal, Christine Marie V.


        Date Accessed: 28/09/2011


        Date Accessed: 28/09/2011

        Author: David Brough. CFS.

Illustration:

Fig 1.

Date Accessed: 28/09/2011

Copyright (c) 2006` u‚¨[‚µ‚á‚ñ‚Ô‚é[v All rights reserved.

Fig. 2

Date Accessed: 28/09/2011

All pictures © 2004-10 Florent Charpin


2 comments:

  1. “The Volitans Lionfish, Black Lionfish, or Red Firefish are so lazy that many times people think they are dead when they are merely resting upside down!"

    haha!

    Just a note - it's great that you're referencing all your quotes etc., but as this post isn't 'academic' in terms of its tone or function, you can afford to relax the referencing. Just use hyperlinks to link any extract text back to their source, for example - and you needn't reference your images here either. That kind of housekeeping is for your reviews and written assignments. You're not doing anything wrong, I'm just keen to save you some blogging time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh that will save sometime, from what i saw from other peoples blogs made me think i will use the harverd method on everything.

    Is there a button on the post settings which i can use to hyperlink my work then back to there source like you mentioned? does that mean i do not need a bibliography to show on the blog for this research either?

    ReplyDelete